Dr Johanna Meyer is a Clinical Psychologist who uses evidence-based therapies to help adults with a variety of mental health concerns. After obtaining a 4-year Bachelor degree in Psychology (with Honours) from the University of Florida, she went on to complete a Master of Psychology from the University of Wyoming. She then moved to Australia and completed a combined Master of Clinical Psychology/PhD program at the University of Wollongong. Johanna's Honours, Masters, and PhD research all focused on enhancing the treatment of anxiety.
Johanna has provided psychological intervention across many settings including inpatient facilities, a specialist anxiety clinic, university clinics, and non-profit organizations such as headspace and Karitane Toddler Clinic. She has experience helping people with grief and loss, anger, low self-esteem, adjustment to difficult life transitions, trichotillomania (hair pulling), excoriation (skin picking), poor body image, depression, stress, interpersonal difficulties and relationship breakdowns, attention/hyperactivity, and poor sleep.
Although Johanna enjoys treating the issues above, her area of special interest is helping people overcome anxiety. She has extensive clinical and research experience in the treatment of anxiety-related problems such as: social anxiety, obsessions and compulsions (OCD), phobias (e.g., fear of vomiting, needles, heights, storms, animals, etc.), panic attacks, health anxiety, agoraphobia, generalised anxiety (GAD), and separation anxiety.
Johanna is also passionate about providing safe, respectful psychological support to members of LGBTIQA+ communities - and in particular - gender-affirming support to trans- and gender-diverse folks.
Johanna is trained in Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). She approaches every therapy session with her core values of being compassionate, respectful, and genuine.
Johanna offers appointments at Calvert & Associates Psychology on Thursdays.
Memberships & Registrations:
- Full registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (PSY0002034320)
- Registration to provide psychology services with Medicare (5498792B)
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society – College of Clinical Psychologists (APS-CCLP)
- Member of the Australian Clinical Psychology Association (ACPA)
- Member of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- Member of the Society of Clinical Psychology, Division 12 of the American Psychological Association (SCP, APA)